Job Title: Managing Editor
Reporting to: COO & Managing Director
Dazed Media is the world’s leading independent fashion and culture media brand.
Thirty years ago Jefferson Hack and Rankin Waddell set up a magazine that would become a movement: Dazed & Confused. The title became a lightning rod for cultural provocation – radically reframing international style culture. Today, we are an agenda-setting publishing powerhouse and the most efficient way to reach the world’s most influential audiences.
Dazed Media powers an ever-evolving network of premium digital channels and iconic print titles including Dazed and AnOther.
The company also encompasses a pioneering creative studio, award-winning video production, exclusive events, industry-leading talent network and efficient third-party distribution. Dazed Studio specialises in fashion, luxury and lifestyle communications. We partner with the world’s most ambitious brands and agencies to create brave, pioneering ideas for a global influencer community.
Select clients: Alexander McQueen, Apple, Beats by Dre, Belstaff, Burberry, Chanel, Channel 4, Converse, Diesel, Google, Gucci, Liberty, LVMH, Mercedes-Benz, Miu, Miu, Nike, Ray-Ban, Samsung, Sonos, Swarovski, YouTube Music.
This is an exciting role for the right candidate to be part of a refreshed Dazed Editorial vision in 2021 and beyond. This person will work across the Dazed Brand (Print, Digital and Social). Please note this is a predominantly digital and social role.
This candidate will have a proven track record of managing and operationalising editorial planning and online content, helping to manage editorial commissioning budgets, travel budgets etc. This person will work closely with the Digital Director, Head of Content and Editors.
The successful candidate will have demonstrable knowledge of digital publishing and the ability to understand, contribute and operationalise editorial ideas on a daily basis. Ideally you will have strong editorial and PR relationships within the fashion and beauty industry. You will be comfortable in a fast-moving, highly creative environment balancing competing demands with a cool head and the ability to prioritise effectively to meet deadlines. Excellent communication, organisational and leadership skills are key to success in this role.
Duties, Responsibilities & Deliverables
- Helping to operationalise the editorial vision across the Dazed brand (digital and social predominantly, print, and the commercial arm- Dazed Studio)
- Develop and manage the overall daily, weekly and annual editorial calendars
- Ensuring the teams execute against those timelines. This role is key to collaborating cross department and ensuring timelines are met
- Work with the Digital Director, Head of Content and DD Editor on deployment of commissioning budgets across digital and social channels as well as Print
- Work closely with finance to ensure there is a process for payments
- This role will work closely to help drive the membership and subscription strategy across Dazed. There will be an experiential element (Dazed Space and Studios) to this membership and subscription strategy which this role will be involved in
- Working with the Digital Director, Head of Content and DD Editor to ensure the vision that is being operationalised hits growth and engagement KPIs.
- Run editorial meetings, daily, weekly with Digital Director, Head of Content and DD Editor
- Review editorial calendars and content planning with the Editorial Steering Committee
- Review content performance daily / weekly, using GA, Chartbeat and internal tools to share with wider stakeholders
- Ensure all content (site, social and print) adheres to the Dazed voice and aesthetic, follows the required style guides, production processes and meets editorial standards.
- Work with the digital, social and marketing teams on audience development (site and social)
- Work with the digital, social & editorial team to develop innovative and evolving content formats
- Maintaining relationships with PRs across the beauty industry but also in the fashion, art and culture fields
- Work with the print team on Dazed to deliver the print magazine (4 over the course of the year) on time and within budget
- Act as an ambassador for Dazed Media promoting the site to PRs and at industry events or audience facing events, participating and leading live talks
- Collaborate closely with the advertising, agency and project management teams to deliver branded content and advertorials across the site
- Help manage this commercial workflow
Desired Skills & Experience
- Confidence managing editorial, social and digital teams, a team leader with management experience
- Confidence managing editorial calendars, content planning and assigning commissioning budgets
- Understanding of digital storytelling, social distribution and analytics
- Understanding of the print process
- Confidence to effectively manage relationships with some of the world’s leading creatives including writers, photographers, stylists, designers
- Strong contact book of relationships across the industry, particularly with writers and PRs
- Excellent communication, organisational and leadership skills
- Keep abreast of fashion and culture events of interest to Dazed readers; extensive knowledge of the cultural calendar
- Experience of CMS, social media, analytics and tracking tools
These duties and responsibilities are indicative and not exhaustive but serve to give a realistic overview of the role and requirements. The company reserves the right to change this role description in response to the changing needs of the business.
At Dazed Media we promote a working environment in which diversity is recognised, valued and encouraged. We acknowledge the multicultural and diverse nature of the UK workforce and society in general. We are committed to principles of fairness and mutual respect. We