Head of Production
Job Title: Head of Production
Department: Dazed Studio
Reporting to: MD/ COO
Dazed Media is the world’s leading independent fashion and culture media brand.
Thirty years ago Jefferson Hack and Rankin Waddell set up a magazine that would become a movement: Dazed & Confused. The title became a lightning rod for cultural provocation – radically reframing international style culture. Today, we are an agenda-setting publishing powerhouse and the most efficient way to reach the world’s most influential audiences.
Dazed Media powers an ever-evolving network of premium digital channels and iconic print titles including Dazed and AnOther.
The company also encompasses a pioneering creative studio, award-winning video production, exclusive events, industry-leading talent network and efficient third-party distribution. Dazed Studio specialises in fashion, luxury and lifestyle communications. We partner with the world’s most ambitious brands and agencies to create brave, pioneering ideas for a global influencer community.
Select clients: Alexander McQueen, Apple, Beats by Dre, Belstaff, Burberry, Chanel, Channel 4, Converse, Diesel, Google, Gucci, Liberty, LVMH, Mercedes-Benz, Miu, Miu, Nike, Ray-Ban, Samsung, Sonos, Swarovski, YouTube Music.
As a senior position within the Studio, the Head of Production will play a critical part in ensuring Dazed Studio executes the best creative work in the industry. The ideal candidate will be responsible for the development of the in-house production department; they will manage multiple concurrent projects of varying size and complexity, manage production teams and be accountable for the Studio’s production budgets and profitability in a creatively driven business.
- Driving the creative excellence through the studio, in a 360 way (film, photography and experiential). This work will often be talent led, so experience dealing with talent and executing talent led concepts is desirable.
- Looking at how we can produce films through Dazed Production and not necessarily through production companies
- The Head of Production will manage permanent and freelance producers and work extremely closely with the Creative Services Director on resourcing.
- The Head of Production will also work closely with the Exec Team, Creative Services Director, Client Services Director, Project Directors, Creative Director, Art Director and Strategy Director to produce best in class work that creates culture, not reflects it.
- Ownership of Dazed Studio policies and processes regarding H&S (Health & Safety), budgeting, preferred suppliers, freelance technical staff;
- The successful candidate needs to be highly commercially minded - maximising profitability on every project;
- Knowledge and ability to produce 360 activations
- Maintain and develop quality relationships with key partners and industry leading suppliers to ensure a continued focus on enhancing the options available to our clients.
- Lead Dazed Studio’s expertise in cutting edge technology and technical developments.
- Must be comfortable being client facing
- Must have experience of client procurement processes
- Look at efficiencies across Dazed Media Group
- Will provide leadership through the planning and delivery of live projects and liaise with clients and suppliers and ensure exceptional levels of production quality and creative delivery.
- Be a business partner with COO and MD in terms of driving the production agenda across the business
- Co-ordinate pre production meetings and ensure deadlines are adhered to
- Development and management of production logistics; Oversee development management plans (i.e.: traffic, sound)
- Manage production team and suppliers
- Obtain all necessary approvals & permits where necessary
- Be able to engage in talent negotiations
- Understanding of basic contracts and be able to produce detailed scopes of work
- Prepare and manage detailed production budget; budget reconciliation
- Coordinate detailed documentation of all quotes and costings
H&S (Health & Safety):
- Implement Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems and policies
- Risk Management Systems
Skills, experience & personal attributes:
- An exceptionally strong, collaborative individual that is able to bring solutions
- An individual that can collaborate and understand how to get the best from clients
- Must have experience in a production agency environment, hold excellent project management and budgeting skills, and can oversee and inspire a team
- Passionate about Dazed Group
- Experience and proven ability in delivering robust and profitable creative solutions to clients
- A passion for everything digital, with an active interest and understanding of online advertising industry trends
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Proven experience managing people/team
- Be self starting and positive
- Excellent attention to detail
- An entrepreneurial spirit and creatively driven
- Super organised and meticulous with detail and able to juggle numerous tasks
These duties and responsibilities are indicative and not exhaustive but serve to give a realistic overview of the role and requirements. The company reserves the right to change this role description in response to the changing needs of the business.
At Dazed Media we promote a working environment in which diversity is recognised, valued and encouraged. We acknowledge the multicultural and diverse nature of the UK workforce and society in general. We are committed to principles of fairness and mutual respect. We particularly welcome applicants from those who are significantly underrepresented in our sector.