Head of People
Job Title: Head of People
Department: HR & Operations
Reporting to: COO/MD
Dazed Media is the world’s leading independent fashion and culture media brand.
Thirty years ago Jefferson Hack and Rankin Waddell set up a magazine that would become a movement: Dazed & Confused. The title became a lightning rod for cultural provocation – radically reframing international style culture. Today, we are an agenda-setting publishing powerhouse and the most efficient way to reach the world’s most influential audiences.
Dazed Media powers an ever-evolving network of premium digital channels and iconic print titles including Dazed, AnOther and Another Man
The company also encompasses a pioneering creative studio, award-winning video production, exclusive events, industry-leading talent network and efficient third-party distribution. Dazed Studio specialises in fashion, luxury and lifestyle communications. We partner with the world’s most ambitious brands and agencies to create brave, pioneering ideas for a global influencer community.
Select clients: Alexander McQueen, Apple, Beats by Dre, Belstaff, Burberry, Chanel, Channel 4, Converse, Diesel, Google, Gucci, Liberty, LVMH, Mercedes-Benz, Miu, Miu, Nike, Ray-Ban, Samsung, Sonos, Swarovski, YouTube Music.
This is a generalist role and for a HR professional. At your core you are effective at people management and approach this in a way that aligns with Dazed values. You should have a strong understanding of culture, learning and development, D&I and talent acquisition. You will report into the MD and a COO but will work closely with all levels of team at Dazed. This is an exciting role for someone wanting to work at an innovative and ambitious company.
As Head of People you will also be responsible for leading key programmes at Dazed around Social Responsibility, D&I, continuing to build a culture of transparency, engagement of employees, and talent acquisition and learning and development. You will be passionate about the Dazed brand and therefore culture.
Terms: Full time but also open to discussing flexible hours
Office located at 2 Arundel Street, London WC2R 3DA
Duties, responsibilities & deliverables:
- Work closely with the Exec team and key line managers to ensure the people strategy is aligned with the wider Dazed ambitions
- Work closely with the MD and COO on the Dazed salary process review, promotion and reward strategy and apprenticeship and internships strategy
- Oversee smooth operation of day-to-day HR activities.
- Carry out frequent surveys to check and analyse the temperature of the business, conduct an annual survey around engagement and D&I, analyse findings and report back to the business
- Build on learning and development for staff - and ideally be able to give some training yourself
- Act as an advisor on issues at all levels across the agency, including flexible workings requests, maternity, disciplinaries and grievances.
- Support team leads in navigating any performance management challenges or ER issues.
- Help to encourage and maintain values and defined behaviours across the business.
- Maintain an up to date understanding of employment regulations/laws, industry trends and communicate as required for example IR35 and GDPR
- Comfortable representing the company at external events and also proficient at presenting at internal events
- Empowered and accountable for the delivery of numerous assigned workstreams within the DazedPeople Strategy e.g. Social Responsibility, D&I etc
- Ensure new hires have the best onboarding experience that make them feel culturally included and excited by the brand
- Work with leaders to develop their teams and make meaningful plans, create talent pipeline and look at succession planning
- Regular coaching support and challenging managers to develop their leadership
- Partner with team to create an environment of high performance and support managers to drive engagement
- Take the lead on ensuring effective communication of business priorities as above e.g. D&I, Social Responsibility etc
- Payroll/Recruitment/ Ad hoc administration
Desired Skills & Experience:
- A high level of emotional intelligence with the ability to influence and build trust easily with others as appropriate
- A friendly “hands on” approach, advising senior management on all aspects of employee relations
- The ability to be flexible, proactive and generate ideas in a changeable climate
- Ability to work closely with Finance and understand financial systems
- A team player and an effective leader with an ability to inspire others
- HR generalist with a strong knowledge of HR practices including; employment law, contracts etc
- Proven experience building and supporting an L&D programme
- The ability to coach and mentor managers
- Be approachable and accessible to all teams
- Be comfortable taking ownership of tasks and projects
- Previous experience of working with both editorial and commercial teams
- Previous experience of working in a digitally led business
- Some experience of leading D&I initiatives
- A structured process thinker, with a track record of building impactful structures, owning complex projects end to end and comfortable creating simplicity from ambiguity.
- The ability to naturally build trusting working relationships to ensure the People function is experienced as approachable, responsive, supportive and impactful.
- An interest in the Dazed Media brand and our missions beneficial but not essential
These duties and responsibilities are indicative and not exhaustive but serve to give a realistic overview of the role and requirements. The company reserves the right to change this role description in response to the changing needs of the business.
At Dazed Media we promote a working environment in which diversity is recognised, valued and encouraged. We acknowledge the multicultural and diverse nature of the UK workforce and society in general. We are committed to principles of fairness and mutual respect. We particularly welcome applicants from those who are significantly underrepresented in our sector.