The role: Digital Director, Dazed Media
Department: Dazed, Digital Team
Reporting to: COO and MD
Dazed Media is the world’s leading independent fashion and culture media brand.
Thirty years ago Jefferson Hack and Rankin Waddell set up a magazine that would become a movement: Dazed & Confused. The title became a lightning rod for cultural provocation – radically reframing international style culture. Today, we are an agenda-setting publishing powerhouse and the most efficient way to reach the world’s most influential audiences.
Dazed Media powers an ever-evolving network of premium digital channels and iconic print titles including Dazed and AnOther.
The company also encompasses a pioneering creative studio, award-winning video production, exclusive events, industry-leading talent network and efficient third-party distribution. Dazed Studio specialises in fashion, luxury and lifestyle communications. We partner with the world’s most ambitious brands and agencies to create brave, pioneering ideas for a global influencer community.
Select clients: Alexander McQueen, Apple, Beats by Dre, Belstaff, Burberry, Chanel, Channel 4, Converse, Diesel, Google, Gucci, Liberty, LVMH, Mercedes-Benz, Miu, Miu, Nike, Ray-Ban, Samsung, Sonos, Swarovski, YouTube Music.
The role of the Digital Director will be to manage Dazed Media’s digital ecosystem. You will lead and deliver the digital strategy across the group. With responsibilities across digital products (dazed, another and nowness), social media, audience development and marketing and memberships, You will have both product and commercial acumen, project management experience, alongside an expert understanding of content and content strategy across both owned and operated platforms.
- Set digital objectives for growth and engagement across Dazed Media’ properties alongside the Exec Ed Director, Head of Content, Director of Media Ops, Commercial Director, CD- Dazed Club and DD Editor.
- Strategically understand the relationship with Dazed Digital properties (site and social), membership product and the new space and how they can all feed each other to drive growth across Digital.
- Set targets for Dazed Media’s editorial, social, and video teams troubleshooting traffic and engagement fluctuations and aiding the editors/producers to reach traffic/engagement benchmarks
- Led teams with calmness and consideration, empowering staff on their journey from understanding the strategy to seamless execution
- Work extremely closely with DD Editors and membership teams to ensure growth and engagement across platforms
- Understand and safeguard the Dazed, AnOther, and Nowness tone of voice and market position, working closely with the print teams to aid with one integrated brand feel and cross-team dynamic
- Ensure efficiency and optimisation of the digital ecosystem through SEO (organic), SEM (paid with Director of Media ops), Social Media Optimisation, direct marketing, affiliates, plus audio and video products
- Conduct testing through desk research, data insights, competitor research, in-person focus groups, and A/B testing to guide Dazed Media’s digital strategy
- Manage project timelines and budgets for Dazed’s digital operations as and when required
- Ensure the audience growth and development across Dazed Media’s platforms is aligned with the commercial objectives
- Brief the rest of senior management team on audience growth, insights, engagement, and competitor benchmarking, across all measurable areas of the business
- Work with Dazed Studio project teams to provide the lead on digital projects, and advise on design, technical and best practice.
- Be the data champion in a creatively-focused business by providing relevant content/audience reports in partnership with a data analyst
- Have a voice and presence within the industry that positions Dazed as a digital leader
- Position the membership strategy as a business priority within the editorial, social and technical teams, enabling staff members to aid in its success as a new business pillar
- Understand the clear role of the Space and how this experiential expression of Dazed pays back to the digital expression of the brand. The two must work in tandem to drive growth and longevity of the Dazed brand.
Skills, experience & personal attributes:
You have a calm and considered nature as you are reporting on the sensitive needs of the business, and understanding the need for escalation where required. You possess a strong understanding of the Dazed Media brands and their market position, and can devise and implement strategies to grow these properties while upholding brand values, content integrity and commercial expectations.
- Excellent understanding of the commercial landscape within the digital publishing industry
- Excellent management skills with a proven track record in leading a successful digital team
- A real passion for digital and the trends in the industry
- Proven ability to deliver digital product in a publishing context
- A data-led, audience-focused mentality to digital leadership with expert experience of using analytical tools to derive strategic insights
- An interest in fashion, music, art & culture desirable
- Effective communicator with experience working across design, social and editorial to drive hard decisions, influencing cross-functional teams in order to make the right and best choices,
- Ability to communicate complex digital concepts with clarity and confidence, and distill quantitative insights in a way that all teams can easily digest
These duties and responsibilities are indicative and not exhaustive but serve to give a realistic overview of the role and requirements. The company reserves the right to change this role description in response to the changing needs of the business.
At Dazed Media we promote a working environment in which diversity is recognised, valued and encouraged. We acknowledge the multicultural and diverse nature of the UK workforce and society in general. We are committed to principles of fairness and mutual respect. We particularly welcome applicants from those who are significantly underrepresented in our sector.