Job Title: Beauty Editor
Line Manager: Dazed Editor, Digital and Executive Editorial Director
The Beauty Editor will have demonstrable knowledge of digital publishing and the ability to generate engaging editorial ideas on a daily basis. Ideally you will have strong editorial and PR relationships within the fashion and beauty industry, with a particular interest or experience in beauty. You will be comfortable in a fast-moving, highly creative environment balancing competing demands with a cool head, and the ability to prioritise effectively to meet deadlines. Excellent communication, organisational and leadership skills are key to success in this role. This position will also work closely with the Editor-in-Chief and Executive Editorial Director to evolve the next chapter of Dazed Beauty across all platforms.
Duties, Responsibilities & Deliverables
- You will be required to work across all Dazed properties, print, digital, beauty, product and experiential (including Dazed Factory).
- Pitch compelling beauty feature ideas to Editor-In-Chief, Executive Editorial Director and Dazed Digital editor on a weekly basis, ensuring the beauty vertical is consistently populated with timely, traffic-driving reporting.
- Commission writers for features including editing/fact-check draft copy and providing feedback to freelancers, plus uploading/formatting content to site.
- Actively participate in daily stand-ups with Dazed Digital editor sharing news and feature ideas, writing progress and filing times.
- Ensure all content (site, social and print) adheres to the Dazed Beauty voice and aesthetic, following the required style guides and production processes while upholding exceptional editorial standards.
- Devise, plan, and execute sharply-written, beauty-focused advertorial, working closely with Dazed Media’s commercial and Studio teams.
- Develop audience-growth and revenue-driving formats alongside specialist editorial campaigns, working closely with Digital Editor and Head of Content.
- Ability and willingness to work across multiple site verticals including news, music, arts, politics, film, and culture, as requested by Digital Editor.
- Nurture a world-class contributor network of writers, photographers and video talent, including key members of the Dazed Beauty Community.
- Assist with the management of the Dazed Beauty budget ensuring monthly benchmarks are met and respected, working closely with Digital Editor.
- Develop lasting relationships with PRs, artists and tastemakers across the beauty industry including both luxury and consumer brands.
- Update, review and populate editorial/content calendars with the Dazed Digital Editor and wider stakeholders at Dazed, including Head of Content and Executive Editorial Director.
- Help pitch and develop innovative experiential formats for the Dazed Factory
- Assist in the development of Dazed Beauty’s audio, video and direct marketing products, with a focus on membership and subscription models in 2021.
- Drive to hit weekly, monthly, and quarterly traffic goals for site, social, and digital products/projects, as directed by Head of Digital and Audience.
- Represent Dazed Beauty in commercial meetings and pitches, alongside live events and speaking engagements.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Exceptional journalistic skills including pitching, commissioning, writing and editing
- Proven experience in a mid-level editor, or a similar operational role, within a fast-paced digital environment
- A strong network of global beauty contacts including established relationships with writers, PRs, brands and influencers
- A keen interest in multiple Dazed Digital verticals outside beauty, including fashion, lifestyle, culture, art and music
- A deep understanding of the Dazed Media brand and market position, with a passion for crafting outstanding commercial copy for clients
- An effective communicator with the ability to speak to staff, clients and stakeholders with clarity and confidence
- A data-led, audience-focused mentality with skills in using community research tools and web/social analytics to drive traffic and engagement
These duties and responsibilities are indicative and not exhaustive but serve to give a realistic overview of the role and requirements. The company reserves the right to change this role description in response to the changing needs of the business.
At Dazed Media we promote a working environment in which diversity is recognised, valued and encouraged. We acknowledge the multicultural and diverse nature of the UK workforce and society in general. We are committed to principles of fairness and mutual respect. We particularly welcome applicants from those who are significantly underrepresented in our sector.
Please apply here!